Wednesday, April 27, 2011

LBSU Athlete of the Week: Monica Villareal (4/25/2011)


Junior Monica Villareal finished in second place at the Big West Championship after recording a career-low 67 in the first round en route to earning this week's Long Beach State Athlete of the Week Award. The Black and Gold Insider sat down with Monica to talk about her impressive weekend.

Black and Gold Insider: How does it feel to be named the Long Beach State Athlete of the Week?

Monica Villareal: It is both an honor and privilege! I am very proud of our school, and the fact that I am the athlete of the week here at Long Beach State is a great feeling.

What was working well for you over the weekend when you were able to shoot a career low 67 at the Big West Championships?

Monica Villareal: I went out there with an open mind and no expectations, just another walk on the course for me. I was confident in my shot making and I made a lot of clutch putts. I have been practicing hard these past few weeks, and everything just seemed to fall into place at the tournament.

Who inspired you to play golf?

Monica Villareal: My awesome dad.

Do you have any pre-match rituals?

Monica Villareal: I mark all my golf balls with pink flowers, listen to classical music while warming up, practice my breathing exercises and say a prayer.

What does it mean to Bleed Black and Gold?

Monica Villareal: It means to play hard and work hard no matter what! Bleeding Black and Gold means having great honor and pride in Long Beach State and representing to the best of my ability- win or lose I Bleed Black and Gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails