Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Big West Pitcher of the Week: Erin Jones-Wesley 2-28-2011

Another week, another Big West Conference Pitcher of the Week award for freshman phenom Erin Jones-Wesley. This past weekend in Palms Springs, Erin pitched three outstanding games; her first coming in an eight inning, five hit, one run (unearned) performance against Utah in which Long Beach State won 5-1. 

Erin then added taking down a top 10 team to her young resume, throwing a complete game, six strikeout performance against No. 6 ranked Oklahoma in route to a 2-1 victory for the 49ers over the Sooners.

Erin wrapped her weekend with a solid performance against Oklahoma State, but the 49ers fell 5-3.

This impressive weekend brings Erin's season stats to a 5-1 record with an ERA of 1.59.

The Black and Gold Insider caught up with Erin before she and them head off to San Diego to face another stacked tournament field.

Black and Gold Insider: You had another great weekend on the mound, what has been the key to your early success?
 
Erin Jones-Wesley: I think I have been successful so far because of the smart pitch selection chosen by my coaches, the great defense and offense my team has supported me with, and the connection I have with both catchers that allows me to feel confident with each pitch of the game.

Do you think your first outing where you pitched a complete game shutout helped boost your confidence and carry over to the other starts you have made so far?

Erin Jones-Wesley: Pitching a shut out in my first college outing definitely helped me believe I can do it, but I don’t really look at past games for confidence; in softball you really have to take it one pitch at a time. Softball is a really humbling sport, a person can be really hot one day, and the next day go 0 for 4 or pitch a bad game and get taken out. I’ve learned to never live through the past, and just to look forward to the future.

What's your favorite part of traveling to the different tournaments and getting to hangout with your teammates?

Erin Jones-Wesley: My favorite part of traveling would have to be the actual traveling part, sitting on a bus for long periods of time may seem terribly boring, but we all find a way to make it entertaining. The other freshmen and I get really silly and just talk in different accents and give everyone on the team and our coaching staff funny names. Oh, and of course, eating with the team. I love food!

What music do you like to listen to before you pitch?

Erin Jones-Wesley: It really just depends on my mood; sometimes I can just put my iPod on shuffle and just let anything play, which can range from: country to hip-hop to pop to songs performed by the cast of the TV show Glee. If I feel the need to really get pumped up though I play “I Made It” by Kevin Rudolf or “Successful” by Drake.

Who's the funniest girl on your team?

Erin Jones-Wesley: Everyone really has their funny moments, but I think the one person who makes everyone laugh if Christina Schallig without a doubt.

Are you excited for March Madness?

Erin Jones-Wesley: I usually stick to just watching the NBA, but I’ll be more excited if our basketball team goes through a few rounds! The only college basketball team I watch, or am interested in is Long Beach State. GO BEACH!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails